Wednesday, January 23, 2008

THE POWER OF THE CAT

Chan Marshall, aka Cat Power, is making us wait. She is making us wait for a new album of original music. However, like the Three Course Menu at TGI Friday’s, she has given us an appetizer to help ease our hunger pains. This latest release of covers called Jukebox sounds like the personification of cigarettes and booze. Its intoxicating effect, slightly dangerous yet cozy and inviting, spreads slowly through your veins and leaves you a little sad and unsure once the effect has passed.


I was unsure, upon finishing my first listen, of where to start with my compliments. This is a great album. It achieves everything one could hope for in a covers album. Ms. Power breathes her own life into the songs she has chosen to cover. She is respectful of the original versions while allowing her own perspective to create a new identity for each song. She cleverly plays homage to Bob Dylan in “Song to Bobby” not only because he is the Bobby to whom the title refers to but also because Dylan used to pen the same type of confession. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this record.

That being said there are very few songs that will be heard at a dance competition any time soon! This is where my sadness comes into play! I was sure that after her first album of covers (The Covers Record) gave us “I Found a Reason” and “Sea of Love” (yes, the same Sea of Love I was raving about from the Juno soundtrack) that this album would have plenty of options for dancers. However, I can name just one that might make for good competition fare. That is “New York.” That’s right- start spreadin’ the news! This “New York” is what you might find lurking in the dark corners of the Meat Packing District not the bright lights of the Great White Way. So think outside the box and you might just make it there or anywhere for that matter!

That is all for this week. I am not sure what is on the horizon for next week but I am traveling a lot lately and that always brings new music my way. If not I believe there is still an outstanding promise to share the music of the NYC Subways. I guess you will have to check back next week to see what’s up in Music Mama’s world!

Lyrically Yours,

Music Mama

PARENTAL ADVISORY: As always, parents should screen first for explicit content on all albums suggested by Music Mama! As certain songs suggested by Music Mama may be appropriate, full albums may not and should be screened accordingly.

0 comments: